The Pigeon Cote
Pigeonniers of France: Brittany
Day 5: Vicinity of Combourg:
|Dovecote of Chapelle-Aux-Filtzmeens
Dovecote Of The Chapelle-Aux-Filtzmeens
The dovecote we found was approximately .7km outside the village of La Chappelle aux Filtzmeens on the way to St. Domineuc via the D13, at the Chateau de la Chappelle aux Filtzmeens. This dovecote has a lovely chateau to accompany it, and the architecture is absolutely incredible. It is stunning, in what is referred to as the imperial style and well worth the visit, even though the dovecote itself is not in a public area.
This style will forever be known as haute French in my mind. Access for the birds is obtained via the cupola as well as by four very elegant skylights. Dr. Jean Auffret reports that the interior is well preserved and has its revolving potence providing access to the nest holes, of which there are approximately 800. The original manor, of which nothing really remains, was built in the 15th century so it must be presumed this was constructed later during the 17th century.
The roof of the dovecote is visible from the road, but the rest of it is obscured by trees. Fortunately, the chateau offers camping spaces, so you can drive into the property, and when you reach the parking area, the dovecote is clearly visible, but within the private area of the chateau.
|Dovecote of Manoir du Grand Tremaudan
Dovecote of Manoir du Grand Tremaudan
Another dovecote in as wonderful a setting, though not nearly as elaborate, is only a couple of kilometers toward Combourg from Chapelle-Aux-Filtzmeens. Since these dovecotes are in such close proximity, neither should be missed. The dovecote is in a particularly beautiful location, down a quiet rural lane in an idyllic spot, at the Manoir du Grand Tremaudan.
The dovecote is of the 17th century and is in exceptionally good repair. The stones in the exterior circumference wall do not change size from larger to smaller as is the more common method, but rather are made up of a mixture of stone sizes that remains identical through the entire height of the wall. This is a shared design element with its neighbor Filtzmeens. With a closer examination of the larger image you will also note that the the lintel above the door does not extend over the bearing stones. A rather curious arrangement that has, however, withstood the test of time. The slate roof is particularly lovely. It has recently been restored and the cupola is topped with a lovely dove-shaped ornament..
The road to the dovecote is approximately 1.6 km from Combourg just south of the D13 upon which lies La Chappelle aux Filtzmeens. Additionally, the road is sign posted Tremauden. Drive down this lovely road, and you can’t miss the dovecote. It sits just outside of the original manor enclosure, directly next to the road. The manor house and other buildings are also lovely.
Dovecote Of Beauvais In Gévezé
The dovecote we found is at the Manoir Beauvais, or if you wish, the manor beautiful, as it was known in 1427 when it belonged to Mathurin d' Acigne. In 1481, the property passed to Bourgneuf, then shortly thereafter to the Biet family. Bonabes Biet was well connected, being the prosecutor of Rennes in 1587, and by 1597, the attorney general of the states. The lords of the manor were favored by both Louis XIII and Louis XIV.
It lies approximately 1 km south of Geveze on the D287. Being posted as private property, we had to view the dovecote at a distance from the public road. A good place to see it is from a small road signposted Le Choinel, which is a right turn just past the manor on the D287. The dovecote sits in front of the manor house from this viewpoint, and both house and dovecote are interesting. You can see the house more clearly in the expanded image of the dovecote, by clicking on the dovecote image on the right..
It appears that the cupola has been closed in to restrict access, but can’t be certain without closer inspection. A most interesting feature is what appears to be a substantial window in the side. An iron bar is inserted to provide support. While it can’t be confirmed, I must presume that this was added at some later date to provide light for some other purpose. The wall, although it shows weathering, is still completely covered with the mud/plaster surface obscuring the stonework.
Its yellow color which matches the golden grain of fall for a very picturesque view.
Dovecote of the chateau Landal
Dovecote Of Chateau Landal, Broualan
The dovecote, which we located, but did not see, is at the Chateau Landal. We actually looked for this dovecote yesterday, but didn’t realize that we should have been looking for a chateau, so we drove around rather aimlessly and definitely fruitlessly. Today when we tried again, we had little more luck. The chateau is located down a long lane near the village of Landal. We caught only a fleeting glimpse of its roof with four pointed turrets, but could get no closer, as the drive is posted private.
The area is very picturesque and much wooded, so taking a trip in the winter, while not being as beautiful, might provide a glimpse of the dovecote. Reportedly, the dovecote sits to the left of the castle when viewed from the front. The grounds have had a very long history of most famous persons, dating back to 1137 when it was in the family of Aubigne, and the dovecote is of the same period. It is a round stone structure, of the “beehive” design, that is very typical of the period and area.
Being situated at the edge of Brittany, this was a strategic location along with other castles in the area and it changed hands several times. At the end of the 16th century, the chateau was burned down by Guebriand. It was later sold after the revolution as state property.
To locate, travel toward Boussac from Broualan on the D285 and turn left in about 2km.
Our next day takes us to an area between St. Brieuc and Dinan.